Sunday, April 20, 2008

Does My Closet Make My Butt Look Big?















I have been meaning to get to my closet for months and procrastinated. The more I procrastinated, the less "centered" I became. I had a mishmatch of clothes that I could wear, clothes that were too small, clothes that were drab and stained, and a ton of unorganized, random crap. When the closet got to be too much, I used by bed posts as hangers. Did you see that Oprah show where the topic was hording? I am not a horder, but my closet was starting to resemble the rooms in the horder's house. The disaster closet has been a pattern for my entire life. At some point or other, my best friends would step in and help me get a handle on the mess. My best bud, Jeannie helped me today.




When I looked into my closet, I saw a sea of clothes that I wish I could wear and an overwhelming sense of visual noise. Each day, it took my energy. I was irritated that I could not quite fit into these beautiful clothes that were in front of the ones that actually fit me. Today, I had a strategy...
*Move any piece of clothing out that does not currently fit



*Give away clothes that are not attractive on me


*Toss drab or tattered clothes



*Get some bins to streamline my other stuff



Here are some before and after photos. I thought about photos after hauling out all of the clothes on the floor, so it is actually worse than pictured. I think the thing that helped me get unstuck was enlisting my friend that would not quit and sit on the counch to watch a few hours of procratination television (like what has been happening in the past). I feel so much better already. The next area is my junk drawer, laundry room, garage and excess kitchen gear. I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

Eggplant said...

It is great to get our lives in order, and it is awesome that you feel centered because of it. My only concern is that getting your closet in order was one more step that you had to do to embark on your weight loss journey. Don't let any road blocks get in the way. If we keep waiting until we get all our closets cleaned, all our kids grow up, all our function attended, we will never start acting.

Make weight loss your priority today. The hardest part is getting started -- then it's easy and you'll wonder why you waited in the first place.