Saturday, May 10, 2008

What is it?

What is the thing that finally sets you free from this weight? I am so inspired the blogs and posts from people who have lost the weight for good. Lynn has completely changed how she eats forever. I want to get there too but have not found the "thing" that makes me keep my promise to myself. I have tried it all! I know WW is the best structure for me. You would think that:
* being well for my daughter would be enough
* not having to worry about sitting in a booth at a restaurant would be enough
* not seeing old friends for fear that the shock on their faces would make me too sad
* putting off living my fullest life because I don't have the energy
* worry about fitting into rides at Disneyland (I skipped the tea cups with my daughter)
* never having to hear a child on the street say, "you're really fat."
* having to sit thought a first aid class with my staff and hear all about how obesity kills and feeling so uncomfortable for them and for me
* wearing the same black skirt over and over would do it for me
* not wearing the fun clothes
* seeing the look of judgement on people's faces

Enought wallowing. But really, all of these, especially the most important first one, should do the trick. Why isn't it? More than anything, I want to be around for my daughter. I think ultimately that I am worried that after the meal replacement, Jenny Craig, no carb, sugar free diets, I don't trust myself to follow through. I want this to be the last time. How do a make my own dream come true?

3 comments:

debby said...

Dear Joy, I have thought about your question all day long. Actually, I have thought about this for the past 3 years. What is it that makes someone successful at the weight loss/weight maintenance thing? What is it that makes them start? What is it that keeps them going? I think your last statement holds a key "I want this to be the last time." I think to go into any weight loss program (formal or not) with the view that there will be an end point is a set-up to fail. So when I found that going to W.W. might be working for me, I constantly told myself and others that W.W. was just a tool, that I was changing the way I ate and exercised for the rest of my life.

For me a lot of thinking goes into this new lifestyle. One of the things I struggled with for quite a while was meat. I have always liked meat. And a portion was such a small piece. It just didn't seem like it would satisfy me. I remember sitting one day by the barbeque grieving my loss of meat! All this to say that I really don't think about it much anymore. I still like meat, and I still plan for it, but there are plenty of days (like today) that I would RATHER have cottage cheese and fruit for my dinner than a big slab of meat.

Well, Joy, I am just not sure if what I write to you is helpful or not. This is such a complex issue, but maybe the fact that you are asking the questions, and exploring your motivations means that you are on the right track. Keep thinking!

joys journey in weightloss said...

Thank you Debby! I was at Mother's Day brunch a day early and sat next to a large table talking about "obese people" and how they are the problem with the cost of health care. A true conversation that was difficult to hear. I hate the word, obese. Everyday I get closer. You are helping so much! Thank you!!!

debby said...

Hi Joy, I presume you read other blogs on the internet, but on the off chance that you haven't heard of her, pastaqueen.com does a blog called half of me. She has lost almost 200 pounds. She is funny and very insightful, and has just had her first book published, and she is only 27. You are such a good writer yourself, I think you would enjoy her blog.