Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Caramel Crack



Last night at 2:00 in the morning, I decided that I would make homemade caramels. I told myself that I was doing it that late because I did not want my five year old around the hot sugar mixure on the stove. That was one factor, but mostly, I wanted to stay up and make more sugar. Because I am on vacation, I switch into the late night mode that I crave. The caramels came out fabulously! I did not stop there. I bought caramel ice cream, and drank caramel mochas. I mixed in a bit of sugar cookie dough in between eating the caramel. Right now, I never want to eat sugar again, yet, in a few minutes, I will be going to the fridge and scoop out some chilled sugar cookie dough. So, here are some of the side effects from all of this junk:
*weight gain-that's an understatement
*anxiety
*I can't bound up the stairs like usual, without my heart pounding
*I look terrible
*I have dark circles and splotchy skin
*I am weak and tired
*My tongue is sour and overwhelmed
*I am stiff when I first wake up.
I will be happy to get off of this craptastic plan on Friday. Even though I have these reactions, I think it will remind me why I am not using sugar anymore. I think I will be much more motivated for my next phase.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

With a list like that why would you want to eat sugar? LOL

Sometimes we need little reminders about why we started to do something in the first place. It sounds like Sugarpalooza is doing that for you, if you manage to survive it.

Sassle said...

Hi, my name is Sassle and I'm not only a sugar addict but a caramel addict at that. I named my cat Caramel after my favorite flavor!

I was just about to write a new post and saw the photo of your caramel crack and thought mmmmmm sugar, mmmmmmm caramel (imagine Homer Simpson). Now I'll have to back track to figure out why are you on sugarpalooza LOL.

WWSuzi said...

Those are the exact symptoms i get when i overdose on sugar!! Not nice :(
And yes those caramels look awesome.

Anonymous said...

Those are some caramels, Joy! My most favorite. And I am very good at making them also. But, honestly, after my own 'mini-sugarpalooza' I am tired of the stuff, and am looking for the satisfaction I get from my healthy foods.

Have a merry and blessed Christmas, Joy. ENJOY your bed!!!

Pubsgal said...

Merry Christmas, Joy! I hope you enjoy a good holiday and time with your daughter. (And some sleep, noodge-noodge! :-)

Oh, yum, those caramels look wonderful. Caramel ANYTHING is a serious weak point for me. I binged regularly on Whole Food's French salted caramels before the big D. I'm glad I didn't learn to make them.

One thing you might try after the Sugarpalooza to wean yourself from candy are some of the sugar free candies. I'll be having my own little sugar-free-palooza around here, with all the sugar free candy I'm receiving, and it does give me the feeling like I'm having a treat without wreaking havoc on the blood sugar levels.

I'm partial to Halter sugar free bonbons; I've tried the caramel and green apple flavors so far. They are a Swiss hard candy, and unlike a lot of other hard candies, they have more of a caramel than a butterscotch flavor. The green apple flavor is tart, like a Jolly Rancher; unlike the JRs, the Halter packs are all a single flavor. I have yet to try the sugar free Werther's caramels...got some in my stocking. I used to not think much of hard candy, but the sugar free ones do give a lot of long-lasting flavor with not a lot of calories. Soft sugar-free candies tend to still have a high carb content for what one gets.

Judy's Candies also makes a terrific sugar free caramel. I like them better than their regular variety. And if you like toffee, Enstrom's makes THE best sugar free toffee. (I'm really picky about stuff like that, too.) I got some for Christmas this year, and oh.my.GAHD. Good thing the stuff is made with maltitol; I'm a bit sensitive to it, so it helps me pace myself.

SeaShore said...

I love caramel too. Thank you for the list of reasons not to make any! Hopefully this will be aversion therapy for you.

Merry Christmas!