Saturday, December 6, 2008

Un Glad Corn


I never thought in a million years that I would be abusing corn. Sugar, you betcha! Corn, really? I have never been a chip person. I don't really like potato chips or fries for that matter. I have never purchased a bag of Frito's in my life. Not only am I eating Frito's and corn chips, I have been eating something called "Gladcorn." The Gladcorn is what is making me the most unglad (is that a word?). Gladcorn is like the almost popped corn that you get in your bowl. There is enough of the popped part to make it crunchy and satisfying. Like a good corn nut but better. They were sampling it at the local health food store. It was delish and I got a bag. I kept getting bags, along with chips and Frito's. Just 1/3 of a cup is 140 calories. There are 12 servings in a bag. I have EASILY eaten a half a back several times lately. That is 840 calories. I am having the same reaction to corn as I did sugar. The reason is that corn is basically sugar. Same, same, same!

What is also the same is that I have slacked on the exercise. I did it a few lame attempts, but I am seriously too tired. I am still getting about 5 hours a night. I just have so much on my mind, that I cannot turn my brain off. I realize that it is a vicious circle. I am still off of sugar and let me tell, it has been difficult in the sweetest month of the year. My "Sugarpalooza" rules have been broken in the exercise department. I just have to get a handle on my sleep. Do I need to take some kind of sleeping pill as soon as I get home from school so I will go to bed at a reasonable time?!

I have to get this together!

Joy

P.S.

Pubsgirl wanted to know who my experts were on the no sugar life. Two favs are:
http://www.vanadia.com/stopbeingsweet/about/
http://www.firstourselves.com/first_ourselves/product_ebook-how-to-give-up-sugar_shortform.html

2 comments:

Juice said...

Addicted to corn. Who knew?

Don't beat yourself up about it. Just make a plan to overcome this and move on. It was a learning experience. Now you know to stay away from the Gladcorn!

You can do it! Hope that you can get some sleep soon.

Pubsgal said...

Exactly! What Juice said. (I'd probably get sucked in, too. I've found that my blood sugar is sensitive to corn, but before then, I always loved the little partially-popped kernels. Murder on the teeth, though.)