Friday, August 1, 2008

Good Grief!?!


I am on day 5 of my sugarless lifestyle. Day two was the easiest so far. My day one headache was not too bad the second day. Day three felt like I was on a train to crazy town, craving sugar like a maniac. Day four and five have brought up some emotions that are associated with the Kubler-Ross model of the five stages of grief. Kübler-Ross originally applied these stages to any form of catastrophic personal loss (career, freedom, money). This also includes the death of a loved one, divorce, addiction, or infertility. Kübler-Ross also stated that these steps do not necessarily come in the order, or are all steps experienced by all individuals, though she stated a person will always experience at least two. The stages are:
Denial-I can really handle my sugar. If I just got back on my program, I can totally control this.
Anger- Why do I have to give up sugar! It is unfair! Why can't I eat like everyone else?
Bargaining-Okay, I guess I have to give up sugar, but I will eat sugar free items that I know are terrible and not good for me. I just will eat sugar free candy and cakes.
(This is where I am right now. I went to a low carb store and bought expensive sugar free items that taste horrible and are no better for me than sugar. They will have the same effect. I already tossed out two items that I hated.) Here is a hilarious take on the bargaining stage. This is a fantastic site for support for a sugar free life. http://www.stopbeingsweet.com/comments/what_about_alternative_sweeteners/
I thought that the sugar-free cocoa sandies and the sugar-free chocolate caramels were the answer. I tried them both today and felt like I had a grenade in my belly! The taste was so, so but the "maltitol" is a horrible sugar alcohol that is not much lower in the glycemic index. Just another step in this stage. I just can't eat this stuff! These two items are also bound for the trash. I don't feel well after eating the at all, but I just had to try!
Depression-I realize that the bargaining only prolongs the inevitable. I am a person that cannot tolerate sugar and be a healthy, vital individual living my best life. I grieve the loss of sugar here. No Halloween candy, no Christmas treats, no chocolate chip cookies out of the oven , no dough! NO DOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what I call depression!
Acceptance-After feeling not facing the truth, being mad about the situation, trying to work around it and being seriously depressed, I realize this is what has to happen. I can now really embrace what no sugar means in my life and look at the positive side.

I don't know how long I will be in the bargaining stage. This is no fun, but I can feel my cravings becoming less severe. I know I can do this! Thanks for checking in!!!

No comments: