Thursday, September 4, 2008

I Don't Know What is Different...

I was doing my usual meet and greet in the morning at my school today, and a parent walked up to me and gave me a hug. She said, "I don't know what is different about you, but you look fantastic." Now, that is the mojo I was talking about yesterday. I really don't look fantastic, but I certainly look better because I am out of my sugar fog. I have more confidence and more fun. I am certainly less touchy. I am acting more intentional and not reacting. I had a great start of the school year. It did not go off without "challenges." I had one irrate (former)parent verbally abuse me. Principals get that often, but I have not had to deal with this much at my school. Last year, that would have sent me sprinting into my office to find my stash of chocolate to soothe my rattled heart. Last year, and all the years previous, I stocked up on emergency treats right before school started. If I was out of candy, I would roam and ask teachers if they had any chocolate. Someone usually did and that gave me a sense of calm to move through the enormous stress that I feel as a principal.

This year, I just let the terrible comments bounce right off of me and into the gutter where they belong. I am not taking that toxic junk into my body. As for the stress eating, I seem to have some grace. I am able to chill and not over do it. I have to be careful with fruit and make sure that does not turn into a sugar fix. So far, so good! Thanks for your comments! I appreciate you checking in!!
J

5 comments:

Mara said...

Congrats to you for not falling back into the sugar rush! It is a tuff world out there and you should be proud.

Mara
http://24stepstogo.blogspot.com/

FatGirl said...

Awesome, you should be proud of yourself! Keep it up!

Pubsgal said...

Keep that mojo workin'!!! And best wishes for a great school year! Mine went back last week, and we're still adjusting!

Vonavie said...

I bet the stress of a Principal is enormous! But the rewards are probably great too.

So proud of you for NOT stocking up on the chocolate this year! Progress!

Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Boy, Joy, I just can't believe the difference in you since you started this. It is really remarkable. Keep up the good work.