Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Getting My Mojo Back

When you weigh as much as I do, it is easy to lose your mojo. Little by little, you stop doing the extra things that make you feel good about yourself. There are few clothing options. I am not a big fan of Lane Bryant. The clothes feel cheap to me, even though they can be really expensive. I think they also cater to teens who are overweight. I am not a fan of the empire waist with my current tummy. Actually, I don't think that looks good on anyone. I certainly would hate to be a celebrity and have photogs try to guess if you are pregnant or not in a shirt that looks like a maternity dress. I digress...So, since I have been feeling better about the fact that I am actually going to do this thing, I notice that I am accessorizing, getting manicures, pedicures and spending a fortune on clothes that I hope will not fit me in a few months. J Jill has lovely clothes and they have amazing sales. I appreciate their size 4x. My other fav Nordstrom does not carry 4x and I am not quite in 3x for everything yet. I am faking it until I make it. In other words, I am trying to feel great about my appearance even though I have well over 100lbs to lose. What do you do to get your mojo back?

P.S. Two of my teachers have commented about how good I am looking these days. Nice to hear.
P.S.S. I weighed in and I am hovering around 20lbs lost.

6 comments:

Mara said...

Good for you - I also hate the "plus size" stores they to cater more to the younger girls and are way too expensive. I try and keep my wardrobe simple right now I just wear a lot of simple shirts and look forward to the day I can by something lower than a size 14. Keep up the great work.

Mara
http://24stepstogo.blogspot.com/

WWSuzi said...

20 lbs lost is great!! Keep up the great work ;)

Juice said...

Way to go! Glad you have decided to invest in yourself - you are worth it no matter what your size. (But it sure is fun when that size keeps getting smaller!) Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Joy! I used to go try on tons of clothes, different sizes and different styles than I normally would try. It was always pleasantly surprising when something fit, or even looked good on me. I also started painting my toenails. i think its such a silly thing to do, but I think its pretty and sparkly and it really lasts a long time actually. And shoes...;high heels even. I LOVE SHOES!

Pubsgal said...

Hurrah! I like your strategy for taking care of yourself and doing nice things along the way...why save it up for the end? Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in taking care of everyone else and not realize that, hey, my clothes are looking a little worn! I'm guilty of it. But I do splurge on my hair stylist. She's quick and good, and it always makes me feel good to have a nice haircut.

I'm not too keen on most items at Lane Bryant, either, although I like their bras. Our mall store closed, though, so no place for pretty bras close to home. Thank goodness for the internet!

J. Jill is great; I keep forgetting about them!

Lost Half of Me said...

I noticed the same thing as I lost more weight, but didn't realize it until my dear husband pointed it out one day. I was in the process of putting on a little makeup before we went out and he commented on how I was wearing makeup more often. Once he said it and I took a moment to think about it, I realized he was right. How long had it been since I bothered to put makeup on? How long since I bothered to put on any of the tons of jewelry he'd bought me? I didn't even remember when I'd stopped but somewhere along the way as I gained more weight, I just didn't make an effort anymore. It's sad how that happens. I don't know if it was because I got to the point where I felt so unattractive that I had an unconscious "why bother" attitude or if I just didn't want to spend the extra energy on it. I wish I had recognized it before so I could have made a more conscious effort to pamper myself because I know I deserved it no matter how much I weighed. Now, I can finally look in the mirror and once more really feel like I'm attractive. And I love going shopping for smaller clothes which always gives me a boost. But I think one of my favorite things that makes me feel wonderful is just the way my husband looks at me after 15 years and finds me as attractive now as I was when I was 19. ahhhh!