Friday, September 12, 2008

Slippery Slope


I was hoping that it would not happen, but it is getting clearer that I am using fruit like my sugar drug. When I was using sugar, I had to have something sweet after every meal (except breakfast) and also for snacks. If I did not have that fix, I would get panicky. Well, I can't seem to handle my fruit right now. Here is what is happening:

1. I am having a Starbucks Vivanno everyday (orange, banana, mango smoothy with protein powder, green tea boost and milk). I thought it was a dream come true, no processed sugar, low cal-250 and made with great ingredients. Now I can't focus unless I know when I am going to have this.

2. I am abusing Larabars and Cliff Nectar bars. These are nut and date, sugar free bars that are very tasty. They are healthy, but pack a sugar fix after lunch and dinner. I went from having one or two a week, to two or three a day. The pecan pie Larabar tastes like oatmeal cookie dough. It is divine! Check out their website. These bars are actually really healthy, but are they good for me?

3. I had a sugar free decaf frosty. I broke my coffee rule! I know, it was decaf and it tasted like antifreeze, but I still ingested chemicals that I think are horrible for my body. I did throw over half of it away.


Here is the catch, I am still losing 2lbs a week. I am still able to abuse fruit and lose, which has allowed me to get to this state. Then, I get ticked. I have given up so many foods that I like and now, I can't even have fruit!?!?!? What do you guys think? Should I just eat the bars and smoothies every now and then, or quit them too like I did processed sugar? Should I eat these things until the weight loss evens out? Help!!!

3 comments:

WWSuzi said...

That's a hard one to answer as only you know what's good for you.
For me i'm o.k. with real fruit, as in an apple, banana etc. But sometimes when it comes to the bars etc when they taste sooo sweet that's what does me in. I still have them, but only occasionally. In my opinion almost anything can be addictive. I find that's the case with white flour, white sugar!!

Mara said...

Only you can answer that question. You have to find what works for you. I find that if I have too much of one thing I gain instead of loss so you are lucky. Fruit in my opinion is ok but in moderation as most things are. Keep up your great work and it is nice to see that you are really paying attention to what you are doing.

Mara
http://24stepstogo.blogspot.com/

Lyn said...

I like Larabars and clif nectars too, but I have to limit them. I use them when I am travelling and need something easy to pack. They are VERY calorie dense, tho, and I give them to my underweight child to fatten her up. So be careful.