Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Accountibility

Day 60 of the no sugar way of life came on September 28th. I am averaging 2 lbs a week (for around 25lbs). I have two lame scales that I will be returning. I stepped on the scale today and it read four different weights in four tries. I started this blog so that I could be accountable to myself and connect with fellow bloggers also on this road. I want to take a moment to thank you for your posts. I so appreciate the ones that do not let me off the hook! I love the connections and the warm words. You are incredibly inspiring to me. Thank you.

Let's see how September stacked up with my goals:

My goals for September were:
* I will lose 8 lbs
THIS GOAL WAS COMPLETED EVEN THOUGH HAD THAT GAIN
* I will go to bed no later than 11:15
NOPE-NOT EVEN CLOSE. I AM AVERAGING 12:45 BED TIME. RIDICULOUS! THIS IS HARDER THAT SUGAR ADDICTION?
* I will monitor my fruit intake so I do not start to crave fruit.
I AM MONITORING THIS AND I AM DOING BETTER, BUT I AM NOT OUT OF THE WOODS!
* I will get on the elliptical at least once a week. (I know that seems ridiculously easy, but I want to meet these goals and build on them.)
PLEASE, I NEVER EVEN LOOKED AT IT!

Considering that I reached only 25% of my goals, what goals do you think I should set for myself? Thoughts?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, Joy. I think for sure you should concentrate mostly on food and 'diet.' That is a huge change, and hard enough all by itself. Give yourself some grace on the exercise starting. Did I ever tell you that my biggest hero at w.w. lost 100 pounds before she ever started exercising?

Regarding the sleep, just keep trying. I know that is a very difficult habit to change. I think you or one of your commenters talked about how staying up late was a way of 'rewarding' yourself. I was thinking today about things that we change that have other effects that we didn't even think were related. Well that sentence probably doesn't make sense, but what I was thinking was how I always was a 'very light sleeper,' and had trouble sleeping when I wasn't at home, always had some herbalife or melatonin sleep aid because I would wake up and not be able to get back to sleep. And now I sleep so soundly that I don't hardly move all night, and no matter where I am away from home I sleep soundly all night--never even think about bringing the melatonin. And before I never even correlated being overweight with my sleeping problems. I am convinced that being overweight affects so many things for so many people that they don't even realize. So I don't even know what this has to do with your problem of not going to bed, but I guess I just want to encourage you to keep on working on these small changes that will add up to a completely new and improved life for you.

Juice said...

The good news is that you made SOME progress on your goals. And you will continue to improve. My thought is to try to increase your sleep. After all, if you are asleep, you cannot put food into your mouth! Plus there are studies that say that people who don't get enough sleep end up eating more to maintain energy through the day. By getting more sleep, you may be killing 2 birds with one stone. And sleeping is WAY easier than exercise!

WWSuzi said...

Would it be easier to make your goals weekly?? That gives you time to change them or add to or subtract some??

Pubsgal said...

Hi Joy! Glad to see a post, I was wondering how things were going!

Hmm...that's a toughie. I think I'd work on the sleep part next, although I know that when there are kids sometimes after they go to bed is the only "me" time one gets during the day. One thing you might try is gradually scaling back your bed time, by 15 minutes every few days. Also, I've read that it's easier to get into a sleep mood when TVs and computers are off, maybe make the last hour of the day "candlelight time" and dim the lights, light some candles, and listen to some soothing music. (Or lay in bed and read until you get sleepy...that works for me when my brain is buzzing.)

I'd also vote for exercise. Although maybe you could find something that doesn't seem like "exercise"...The Elliptical seems to be more of a roadblock at this point. Maybe your local library has some fitness or dance instruction DVDs? I've had fun trying those out, even though I get 3 steps wrong for every 4. Some are kinda dorky, but if you get a feel for some of the moves, you could always mute the video and put on your own tunes. One thing I found, also, was that I feel more motivated when there's a goal for using my fitness rather than just exercising. You don't have to be a nut like me and start training for a 5K run, but 5K walks are pretty doable to train for and can support charities to boot. (Here's a "Training for a 5K Walk" link that I found: http://www.guidepostsmag.com/health/everyday-fitness-archive/?i=3553)

Pubsgal said...

Whoops, that link got cut off. Here it is again:
http://www.guidepostsmag.com/health/everyday-fitness-archive/?i=3553

Pubsgal said...

Um, I'll just go ahead and email it to you...